Based on the award winning KIDS model of service-learning, discover the steps in creating a quality service-learning experience in partnership with students and community organizations. This institute will be an interactive, collaborative learning experience. Institute participants will develop project ideas integrated with curriculum requirements and assessment models, and practice strategies to build a collaborative environment in the classroom and help students reflect on and celebrate their work.
Target Audience and Workshop Length:
Four day institutes are designed for educators and administrators new to our model, as well as, experienced service-learning practitioners who wish to expand their "toolbox" and reinvigorate their practice.
- Gain an understanding of service-learning and its basic components
- Learn how service-learning differs from community service and community-based learning
- Develop a basic understanding of the steps involved in a quality service-learning project
- Discover strategies that support youth voice in all aspects of project planning and implementation
- Learn about current research on service-learning and its impacts on students, teachers, and communities
- Learn techniques for building a collaborative environment in the classroom
- Learn about building partnerships and utilizing school and community resources
- Develop a deeper understanding of the role of reflection
- Become familiar with resources available locally and nationally to support service-learning
- Begin planning a KIDS model service-learning project